cold drinks while breastfeeding?

jiabies

hi, i'm new here. have been reading this forum but can't seem to find an answer to my question.

can we consume cold drinks while breastfeeding? i've been told that if i drink cold drinks while breastfeeding, i will cause my baby to have too much wind/gas. is it true?

PinkDiamonds

I don't seem to have that problem, but I believe everything should be taken in moderation. If weather is very hot it doesn't hurt to take 1 or 2 glasses cold water to cool your body. Lukewarm plain water is still the best!

Sometimes I will take chilled drinks like an iced coffee or coke once in a while to pamper myself. Just don't drink coffee too close to bedtime or you may end up with a cranky baby who is wide awake!

uddermummy

hmmm, i think it's actually an old wive's tale.

whatever we eat/ drink will have to be digested before our body produces milk for bbs. And digested stuff is anything but cold... If not, i think our pee and poop should be cold also lohhh....

I don't think there's a tube that goes direct from our throat to our breasts.!:001_302:

then again, cold drinks can cause your cramps to feel more intense, if you are still experiencing contractions of your uterus.

yah, so everything in moderation.

camom

I think it's the type of food we eat that might cause gas/wind in bb, not the temperature of the food/drink.

meiying

For me i dun restrict myself for taking any food so long its taken moderately when preggy and bf... and my boy is also fine throughout my 11 mths of total BF... so i also think its old wives tales... as for cold drinks, tats my favourite which i always take even when preggy... so many pple were telling me not to take as bb will have phelgm etc..

jiabies

thanks alot for the answers! been craving for a cup of ice tea and ice cream :001_302:

by the way, is any of your babies scared of the dark? mine is 3 weeks old and he seems to be scared of the dark. doesn't want to sleep in my room in the daytime (cause our room is abit dark), but when we put him in the living room or other rooms where it's brighter, he falls asleep very fast. and at night he keeps crying when i switch off the lights (we do have a night light on though), but once i switch on the lights, he stops crying. so my husband will carry him and walk around in the living room until he falls asleep then bring him back into the room to sleep. is there any way to solve this? we can't possibly do this every night. and i really want him to differentiate between day and night.

meiying

thanks alot for the answers! been craving for a cup of ice tea and ice cream :001_302:

by the way, is any of your babies scared of the dark? mine is 3 weeks old and he seems to be scared of the dark. doesn't want to sleep in my room in the daytime (cause our room is abit dark), but when we put him in the living room or other rooms where it's brighter, he falls asleep very fast. and at night he keeps crying when i switch off the lights (we do have a night light on though), but once i switch on the lights, he stops crying. so my husband will carry him and walk around in the living room until he falls asleep then bring him back into the room to sleep. is there any way to solve this? we can't possibly do this every night. and i really want him to differentiate between day and night.
i think ice tea and ice cream is fine.. think avoid coffee and coke cos got caffine..

hmmm i tot they cant see clearly yet only shadows? not very sure abt bb scare of darkness leh cos i tot they still dunno how to differentiate day and nite tats y alot of babies owls.. my pd used to tell me during day time draw the curtain and expose him to lights and sound to tell him its day time and when nite time talk quietly and off the lights, why not u continue use the night light... does he still need to be carried if on the light at night?

jiabies

i think ice tea and ice cream is fine.. think avoid coffee and coke cos got caffine..

hmmm i thought they cant see clearly yet only shadows? not very sure about baby scare of darkness cos i thought they still dont know how to differentiate day and nite tats why alot of babies owls.. my pediatrician used to tell me during day time draw the curtain and expose him to lights and sound to tell him its day time and when nite time talk quietly and off the lights, why not you continue use the night light... does he still need to be carried if on the light at night?
he can be left alone for a longer time when the light is on. but when the light is off, he just keeps crying even after i tried rocking him in his cot, give him pacifer or carry him. what my husband does normally is to carry him and walk around in the living room until he sleeps, so that i can take a quick nap before the next feed.

meiying

he can be left alone for a longer time when the light is on. but when the light is off, he just keeps crying even after i tried rocking him in his cot, give him pacifer or carry him. what my husband does normally is to carry him and walk around in the living room until he sleeps, so that i can take a quick nap before the next feed.
oh then why not just leave the night light on till daylight? let him be independent slp on his own rather carry till zzzz... otherwise u all will have a hard time every night leh...

jiabies

oh then why not just leave the night light on till daylight? let him be independent sleep on his own rather carry till zzzz... otherwise you all will have a hard time every night ...
we leave the night light on till daylight, but he still cries. i try not to carry him so often. but my husband always carry him when he cries.

meiteoh

Eva used to be very scared of the dark when she was a young baby so I got her a night light (here in Singapore) or converted my table lamp into a night light (when we were in Switzerland). I'd start off with quite bright (no fluorescent light coz not warm and soothing) and then day by day, I'd slowly dim the lights. If she's okay, then the next night, I'll make it dimmer. If not, we keep it at that intensity level.

Now she is still sleeping with the nightlight but it's so dim that my hubby can barely find the diapers at night. LOL. Around 6am, I'll turn off the night light - the curtains are drawn already so the room is quite dark and she'll snooze all the way till 8 or 9am.

uddermummy

agree with meiteoh.

I think a lot of bbs need time to adjust from the very bright nurseries in the hospital to the normal day/night conditions at home. You would have noticed that the nurseries in the hospitals are really bright at all times of the day.

When bb came home, in the first month, we used a dimmer yellow light, which also helped me to feed her at night. Gradually, we changed to a night light, and now we only have the light from the mosquito trap and dd's 8 months now.

When it's bb's nap and sleeping times, always make the lighting dimmer than usual, so that bb will associate dimmed lighting with sleep. I always make sure i draw the curtains when it's nearing dd's sleeping time.

When she's awake, i make sure the house is as bright as possible.

jiabies

thanks alot for the suggestions.

but now the problem is that i'm trying to get him to get used to sleeping in the dark, even in the day. but my husband's grandmother (we're staying with his grandparents) keeps carrying him over to a brighter room to sleep in the day. i told her that he doesn't want to sleep in dark and i'm trying to get him to get used to it. but she keeps insisting that he doesn't want to sleep in the dark and he will only sleep if it's bright. and then she told me to just leave the lights on until he sleeps then off it at night. it's easy for her to say that, she's not the one who can't sleep at night cause baby doesn't want to sleep in the dark. it is so freaking irritating!!!

jojoki

me drink cold water/juices fr i preggy till she is 8 mths now.. dun seem to hav problem fr me... i just cant take lukewarm drinks... ;p

uddermummy

thanks alot for the suggestions.

but now the problem is that i'm trying to get him to get used to sleeping in the dark, even in the day. but my husband's grandmother (we're staying with his grandparents) keeps carrying him over to a brighter room to sleep in the day. i told her that he doesn't want to sleep in dark and i'm trying to get him to get used to it. but she keeps insisting that he doesn't want to sleep in the dark and he will only sleep if it's bright. and then she told me to just leave the lights on until he sleeps then off it at night. it's easy for her to say that, she's not the one who can't sleep at night cause baby doesn't want to sleep in the dark. it is so freaking irritating!!!

scare the old woman by saying that it's unhealthy to sleep with lights on cos it will cause cancer. :p Read somewhere that sleeping with lights on disrupts our natural rhythm and can cause cancer or something. You may want to google this?

If she's so garang, maybe ask her to help out at night when your bb can't sleep? And ask her to sleep with the lights on since she thinks that's what the bbs need?

But seriously, maybe you can just lock yourselves in the room when bb wants to sleep and ignore her?

Can be quite frustrating when you live with family members who keep telling you what to do with bb, esp when they know nothing!