Coping without a maid?

JP12

Hello there ladies..

Just wondering if anyone of you out there copes without having a maid? Full time foreign maids. Especially those who have newborn babies. Is it possible to cope without a maid, especially if u dont stay with in-laws? We will be having our first baby. We will have a confinement lady but we'r thinking twice abt hiring a full time foreign maid. We are thinking just to hire a part time maid to help clean the house a few times a week.

Also, any stay home mummies out there? How long have u stopped working for? I am also thinking abt being a stay home mom. :) But of coz will be single income family then..

Pls share your experiences.
Thanks!:)

Amulet

my GF is a SAHM.. she have no in-laws so are just staying with her hubby.. she wen through 2 pregnancies and handled all 3 kids w/o maid.. didn't even hire confinement nanny..

during confinement, she will do those lighter chores.. those heavier chores she will leave for her hubby.. n he will cook up something for her to eat before leaving for work everyday..

apollo

y not?? most SAHM here are coping by their own, esp aft confinement.

I'm a SAHM, staying with my parents BUT, both my parents nd to wk, so ds is 90% under my care since i ended my confinement, even during confinement, half od the time, i'm learning from the CL on hw to tc of him.

have u attended or intend to attend those parenting craft conduct by the hospital? if u're taking care bb alone, best is to attend those classes b4 giving birth. so u can a rough idea what to expect and what to do when a NB bb comes =)

angelwendy

I'm staying with my parents.. but i prefer to handle myself.. so far ok.. :tlaugh: but if u r scare then better ask someone to help out when u need to shower

christie06

Hi i'm a stay home mom with a 4month old and 8years old boy without a helper... At first my mom was here for about a month to take care of my boy while im in the hospital for delivery and left when the baby is around 2 weeks old....at first i felt so scared that i even cried because i dont't now if i can do it ... to take care a new born and an 8year old boy...we dont't have that much choice for we can't afford to hire a maid... with the help and support of my hubby we we're able to overcome it.... but for the first few months i wasn't able to clean the house thoroughly because i was too tired and recuperating...i just call my mom from time to time...(actually almost everyday) just to ask something about the baby or just to hear her voice that makes me strong that i'm not alone and i can do it to be a mom of 2 children....:Dancing_tongue:

Hello there ladies..

Just wondering if anyone of you out there copes without having a maid? Full time foreign maids. Especially those who have newborn babies. Is it possible to cope without a maid, especially if you dont stay with in-laws? We will be having our first baby. We will have a confinement lady but we'r thinking twice about hiring a full time foreign maid. We are thinking just to hire a part time maid to help clean the house a few times a week.

Also, any stay home mummies out there? How long have you stopped working for? I am also thinking about being a stay home mom. :) But of coz will be single income family then..

raeka

Ya agree listen to mum voice is an encouragment .
Currently looking after my boy which is coming to 2 next yr alone too.
Hubby will help me do e house chorus when I too tired to carry on.

Hi i'm a stay home mom with a 4month old and 8years old boy without a helper... At first my mom was here for about a month to take care of my boy while im in the hospital for delivery and left when the baby is around 2 weeks old....at first i felt so scared that i even cried because i dont't now if i can do it ... to take care a new born and an 8year old boy...we dont't have that much choice for we can't afford to hire a maid... with the help and support of my hubby we we're able to overcome it.... but for the first few months i wasn't able to clean the house thoroughly because i was too tired and recuperating...i just call my mom from time to time...(actually almost everyday) just to ask something about the baby or just to hear her voice that makes me strong that i'm not alone and i can do it to be a mom of 2 children....:Dancing_tongue:

rainbow123

Hello there ladies..

Just wondering if anyone of you out there copes without having a maid? Full time foreign maids. Especially those who have newborn babies. Is it possible to cope without a maid, especially if you dont stay with in-laws? We will be having our first baby. We will have a confinement lady but we'r thinking twice about hiring a full time foreign maid. We are thinking just to hire a part time maid to help clean the house a few times a week.

Also, any stay home mummies out there? How long have you stopped working for? I am also thinking about being a stay home mom. :) But of coz will be single income family then..

Hi , think i can advise you on this as i fit into your desciption .
Yes , we can cope ....
I do not have a maid and neither i have a part time maid to help out .
Also no in-law to help out also .
Basically after work , we will just rush home to pick up the baby from the nanny and attend to her and our house is very neat too .
I will mop the floor almost every day to keep it clean, handwash every single piece of baby clothing too . Meanwhile my hubby will take care of the baby and keep an eye on her .
There is alot of sacrifices to make . No more drinking session for me and going out with my friends . Hubby also cut down on his hobbies too .
Time-management is very important and multi-tasking as well .
But the most important is to have the right mindset that both hubby and wife play a role . Start "training" your hubby now that he is expected to feed and carry baby ... :001_302:

foreveris

same here.. no foreign maid and no part time maid.. baby goes to in laws place in the day.. after work, I will pick her up then prepare her dinner (hubby and I will have packed dinner).. after dinner, wash up and bath baby.. baby goes to bed at 9pm, I will bath, pump milk and prepare her food for the next day..
sweeping and mopping floor (twice a week or sometimes once a week)
toilet (once a week, we use only 1 toilet to minimise chores)

hubby will help out with the laundry and dish washing.. so far, it's quite manageable with 1 kid..

diymummy

I'm full time working mum.

16 wks maternity leave on my own. No confinement nanny but hubby took 1 mth leave. After 1st mth, I was on my own. No in-laws, no parents help.

No full time maid but got a part time helper coming over once a week.

JP12

y not?? most stay at home mum here are coping by their own, esp after confinement.

I'm a stay at home mum, staying with my parents BUT, both my parents need to wk, so dear son is 90% under my care since i ended my confinement, even during confinement, half od the time, i'm learning from the CL on hw to tc of him.

have you attended or intend to attend those parenting craft conduct by the hospital? if you're taking care baby alone, best is to attend those classes before giving birth. so you can a rough idea what to expect and what to do when a NB baby comes =)
Hi apollo.
No, i'm not attending any of those parenting craft conduct. I guess I can learn from CL. Last time when my sis had her baby, I helped her a little. So, hopefully, I won't be 'frightened' when it's my turn now.

JP12

Hi , think i can advise you on this as i fit into your desciption .
Yes , we can cope ....
I do not have a maid and neither i have a part time maid to help out .
Also no in-law to help out also .
Basically after work , we will just rush home to pick up the baby from the nanny and attend to her and our house is very neat too .
I will mop the floor almost every day to keep it clean, handwash every single piece of baby clothing too . Meanwhile my hubby will take care of the baby and keep an eye on her .
There is alot of sacrifices to make . No more drinking session for me and going out with my friends . Hubby also cut down on his hobbies too .
Time-management is very important and multi-tasking as well .
But the most important is to have the right mindset that both hubby and wife play a role . Start "training" your hubby now that he is expected to feed and carry baby ... :001_302:
hi rainbow, I'm not working right now. yes, it's impt to have time management. Both hubby n wife must work tog. of course when baby comes, your priority changes. Guess my hubby can help out with the chores too. He helps me with dish washing n clothes. :001_302:

JP12

I'm full time working mum.

16 wks maternity leave on my own. No confinement nanny but hubby took 1 month leave. After 1st month, I was on my own. No in-laws, no parents help.

No full time maid but got a part time helper coming over once a week.

Since I'm not working right now, it shld be easier than those who need to go work. Even if I work, we've no place to send my baby to and of coz sometimes u cant trust new maids. Not sure if I will join back the work force. I'm thinking to hire a part time local maid just to clean the house, maybe one or twice a week. That shld b sufficient yea...?! Anybody used Fast Lane Cleaning Services before? $12/hr (min 3hrs) for weekday. Not cheap also if long term use but then maybe this will be a short term solution for us. Maybe next yr we will consider hiring a full time foreign maid...

Delynna

Hello there ladies..

Actually my hb & I oso tot of engaging a maid after confinement but due nobody will b at hm to "look" after the maid after I work. We have a second tots so we engage a nanny instead.

It is possible to cope w/o a maid. I myself take care of my bb ger after my CL left. Frankly speaking, the 1st day was terrible cos I really dunno what she wants from me. She just cried & cried. But after u spent more time with her, u will able to know what she wants from you. The keyword is stay calm. Bb cries for hunger, cuddle & wet diaper...

JP12

Actually my husband & I also thought of engaging a maid after confinement but due nobody will b at hm to "look" after the maid after I work. We have a second tots so we engage a nanny instead.

It is possible to cope w/o a maid. I myself take care of my baby ger after my CL left. Frankly speaking, the 1st day was terrible cos I really dont know what she wants from me. She just cried & cried. But after you spent more time with her, you will able to know what she wants from you. The keyword is stay calm. baby cries for hunger, cuddle & wet diaper...
Hi Delynna,
Ya! It's trouble if no1 is at home to "watch over" the maid. U dont know what they are up to. Unless I stay home. Yea, scare I panic when I hear the baby cries..Coz' if they cry too long, they'll gulp in air yea?

actually, it's possible to cope without a maid, provided that your hubby is willing to help. For me, my hubby is not like these mummies' hubbies here, so nice, will help with the housework. Maybe coz he is doing his own business bah, so often need to go out for 'entertainment'. When i had my 1st child, i was often at my mum's place, coz she will cook for me. Im living with mil, but she duno much about cooking, so she didn't help. Then after i gave birth, my mum was the one who did the confinement for me and after my maternity leave, i left my dd in my mum's care, only brought her home during the weekends. So basically, i only managed to do a bit houseowrk over the weekends when bb is sleeping coz mil wun do anything.

Then now preggy with no. 2 i realized i really cannot cope so much all by myself. Furthermore, my mum left sg for a few months to visit relatives in Aussie, so we decided to engaged a maid. With an active 18 mth, preggy with no.2, im relieved to have a helper.

Im not working already, as i was terminated when i was about 7 mths preggy. But i do intend to go back to the work force after cny, coz i think im just not suited to being a SAHM. Its really not easy to be one!! so i really salute to all SAHM!!

candy_ian

I had a helped for the first 3 months n then I decided to send her back bcos she was giving me lots problems.. She didnt handle bb at all only daily housework. For me I handled bb day 1 of discharge till now with no help from in laws or mum n even hubby cos he wasntthe hands on type.
It's possible! Just b strong! Do what is important n leave the rest when u r feeling better n with time. I had to manage my son n a infected c section wound which took me 4 months to recover.
After maid left, I would do the housework when hubby is bk to stay with bb when he's asleep. I do the daily sweep n mop n washing of clothes the rest like toilets n windows I do them weekly. Till now I'm doing the same thing except I'm cookig daily too.. :)

potato

To all mummies, i really salute you! I have my family and maid to help me, yet at times, it isn't easy to cope for me even though i'm a housewife. Feel so shameful after reading your posts.. You guys are really strong women! :)

Delynna

Hi Delynna,
Ya! It's trouble if no1 is at home to "watch over" the maid. you dont know what they are up to. Unless I stay home. Yea, scare I panic when I hear the baby cries..Coz' if they cry too long, they'll gulp in air yea?
There are oso gd maids around. Do you agree that we oni hear ppl say hw bad is the maid rather the hw gd is the maid? Like my sis, she had a good maid who can cooks well & take gd care of the 3 kids. I believe that you need some luck to ngage a gd maid.

Dunno whether izit true that bb will gulp in air if they cry too long? 1 way to stop the cries is give them pacifier which i thk most mummies wun opt for this option. Initally I strongly reject the idea of giving pacifier. We had fed her, burb her, pat her, cuddle her (do whatever we can) but all that does not stop her cries so my hb gave her the pacifier.

When i was left alone with my bb after my CL left, i was panic when she cries but like wat I said, as time past, you will know how to take care of her. Still remember the 1st time when i bath her, she was crying the whole process but now she seems like enjoying (Keep my fingers crossed).

Always tell you bb what are you gg to do so that he/ she might have a ease of mind :p this is wat i always do.

JP12

actually, it's possible to cope without a maid, provided that your hubby is willing to help. For me, my hubby is not like these mummies' hubbies here, so nice, will help with the housework. Maybe coz he is doing his own business bah, so often need to go out for 'entertainment'. When i had my 1st child, i was often at my mum's place, coz she will cook for me. Im living with mother in law, but she dont know much about cooking, so she didn't help. Then after i gave birth, my mum was the one who did the confinement for me and after my maternity leave, i left my dear daughter in my mum's care, only brought her home during the weekends. So basically, i only managed to do a bit houseowrk over the weekends when baby is sleeping coz mother in law wun do anything.

Then now preggy with no. 2 i realized i really cannot cope so much all by myself. Furthermore, my mum left sg for a few months to visit relatives in Aussie, so we decided to engaged a maid. With an active 18 month, preggy with no.2, im relieved to have a helper.

Im not working already, as i was terminated when i was about 7 mths preggy. But i do intend to go back to the work force after cny, coz i think im just not suited to being a stay at home mum. Its really not easy to be one!! so i really salute to all stay at home mum!!
Hi Fisherman's Friend, sorry to hear about the job. Ur due date is drawing near i suppose? yea, I heard many ladies out there whose jobs got affected because the employers found out they r pregnant. It seems to be very stringent in Singapore?! I had a job interview when I was 4mths preggy and I told them I am pregnant and they even called me back for 2nd round interview but then that time the big boss was a lady and she is a mother.. sO, eventually, I didnt get the job. I guess being a woman always knows it's not easy to juggle between work n baby. I think she's afraid I may not be able to cope.

It's always good to have family support. Nontheless, good luck with your new maid! :)

Last edited:

JP12

There are also good maids around. Do you agree that we oni hear ppl say hw bad is the maid rather the hw good is the maid? Like my sis, she had a good maid who can cooks well & take good care of the 3 kids. I believe that you need some luck to ngage a good maid.

dont know whether izit true that baby will gulp in air if they cry too long? 1 way to stop the cries is give them pacifier which i thk most mummies wun opt for this option. Initally I strongly reject the idea of giving pacifier. We had fed her, burb her, pat her, cuddle her (do whatever we can) but all that does not stop her cries so my husband gave her the pacifier.

When i was left alone with my baby after my CL left, i was panic when she cries but like what I said, as time past, you will know how to take care of her. Still remember the 1st time when i bath her, she was crying the whole process but now she seems like enjoying (Keep my fingers crossed).

Always tell you baby what are you gg to do so that he/ she might have a ease of mind :p this is what i always do.
Ya, my sis also has a good maid who has been looking after her baby since he was a newborn. Now he's 21/2yrs old. She adores the kid. My sis is fortunate to find a gd maid. Thanks for your tips. :001_302: I will get ready some pacifiers.. haha.. that is probably the last resort.