down syndrome test

stonston

Well, everybody have their own opinions.
Some might say no or some might even say yes.
So the main point is each and everyone in this world have their own opinions and thinking.
If let's say some people say no to your the question, we can't say they have no hearts or self centred as they might have their own reasons behind it.

Coz I belief 99% of them who take this test wants an assurance that their baby is gonna be fine.
As for me who have face a miscarriage before, an assurance that my foetus is fine is better than anything else.

* Each & everyone of us have our views & thinking *

I think you mistaken my post. All I'm saying is that if you already have decided to keep the baby regardless of the result, then you should save the money and not bother with the tests.

I am not judging anyone about their decision. It's not easy to bring up a special child. I work with them on a daily basis, and I know how hard it is for the parents to bring up a special child. And if parents-to-be decide that they can't handle it, it's their choice cos they believe they can't give the child the best in life. Every parent wants the best for their child and sometimes it takes a different way to show tt love :)

Assurance is seeked in many different ways. Some are satisfied with ratios and percentages, some want definite answers, it's very personal. For me, I was very satisfied with not knowing at all. My gynae did the NT scan but did not tell me the result as I did not want to know it. My assurance to myself is that I did my best in taking care of myself so that baby has the best environment to live in. If anything else happens, it is not my fault and it's beyond my control cos I already did my best. And the other best assurance comes from my hb and family. They constantly cheer me on and are so proud of me.

joopjoop

I didnt opt for the test too, cos maybe i dont have the courage to do so...hahaha...or maybe cos i was afraid to know the result. My gyn showed me the table for the ratio for down syndrome and said the percentage is not that high. I conceived at 28 yrs old and this is our first baby. Telling myself that my bb will be fine, provide me with the comfort and be happy and carry on with my pregnancy.

Taking care of a special need child is not easy and I have seen it for myself. Special needs does not only limit to down syndrome, it also included autisum or ADHD etc, which cant be detected during pregnancy. So if down syndrome is not detected now what about other problems. There will be too many problems to worry about as the child grows like academic or if the child is copping well in school, does he/she will have any friends and so many more. So i feel why dont just enjoy the pregnancy and be happy.

Just my thoughts.

cocraze

Im 31, so background risk(without doing any screening test) based on maternal age was already much lower than the threshold of 1/300. Nevertheless, this being my first pregnancy and based on what Ive heard from my sisters and read in books, I thought this First Trimester Scan (FTS) or OSCAR would have been useful info, at least to put rest any fears until the next scan in second trimester.

The ultrasound scan involved ultrasound scanning to measure the baby's neck (nuchal translucency), presence of the nasal bone and whether there are other obvious early structural abnormalalities.

These readings and info, added on with info on urine and blood test results would give a combined test result, which is expressed as a probability of the chance of your baby having Down's Syndrome or other chromosonal abnormalalities. If the combined result gives a result of 1/300 or worse, then more advanced (and invasive) test like the CVS or amnio is advised to seek further confirmation.

I did mine at Raffles Hospital last week.
Costs: blood and urine test is $78, FTS is $360. (both before GST)

karoru

wow!!! KKH rates can fight with raffles hospital rates... both around same price... argh!!! tot KKH suspose to be cheaper...

jasobias

its very dissapointing tht KK rates r so high..Raffles cost $100 more..i did mine at Raffles since my gynae is there but its worth paying that $100 more for a peace of mind.I had mine done at KK last yr .But the dr was in too much of a hurry..just checked wht he was supposed to n thts it!As a result of his non attentiveness i lost my baby at 22 weeks.Things tht cld have been discovered then were simply not!No doubt losing a child at any stage is difficult but at 22 weeks u can feel the baby kicking n all so the loss is so much more painful.I wldnt recommend Kk to anyone.Many of my frens have gone through slipshod scans n service there.

shopaholic

For all my 3 pregnancies (elder 2 kids with SGH and this 3rd one with private gynae), I did the 12th week scan to measure baby's neck thickness. Thereafter, I did the triple test. Since both scan measurements and triple test results show I was in the low risk group, all gynaes did not ask me to go for further test although I'm already passed 30yo for this 3rd pregnancy.

shiseru

its very dissapointing tht KK rates are so high..Raffles cost $100 more..i did mine at Raffles since my gynae is there but its worth paying that $100 more for a peace of mind.I had mine done at KK last your .But the dr was in too much of a hurry..just checked wht he was supposed to and thts it!As a result of his non attentiveness i lost my baby at 22 weeks.Things tht cld have been discovered then were simply not!No doubt losing a child at any stage is difficult but at 22 weeks you can feel the baby kicking and all so the loss is so much more painful.I wldnt recommend Kk to anyone.Many of my friends have gone through slipshod scans and service there.
Sorry to hear about your incident, but when you said he was non attentiveness, do you mean the doctor could have diagnose something but he never until a later stage or...?

My experience with KK so far has been pretty pleasant. The 2 ladies (one did the scan, another took my blood for tests) were very maticulous and patience.

Last edited:

cocraze

its very dissapointing tht KK rates are so high..Raffles cost $100 more..i did mine at Raffles since my gynae is there but its worth paying that $100 more for a peace of mind.I had mine done at KK last your .But the dr was in too much of a hurry..just checked wht he was supposed to and thts it!As a result of his non attentiveness i lost my baby at 22 weeks.Things tht cld have been discovered then were simply not!No doubt losing a child at any stage is difficult but at 22 weeks you can feel the baby kicking and all so the loss is so much more painful.I wldnt recommend Kk to anyone.Many of my friends have gone through slipshod scans and service there.
Sorry to hear about your incident, but when you said he was non attentiveness, do you mean the doctor could have diagnose something but he never until a later stage or...?

My experience with KK so far has been pretty pleasant. The 2 ladies (one did the scan, another took my blood for tests) were very maticulous and patience.
Hi jasobias,
Yah, I have the same question as shiseru. What do you mean about things that cld have been discovered but were not? At the 12th week scan, you mean?

jasobias

Hi jasobias,
Yah, I have the same question as shiseru. What do you mean about things that cld have been discovered but were not? At the 12th week scan, you mean?
yup at the 12 week scan it cld have been discovered.It wasnt like she had one prob she had total organ failure..n her movement during the scan was very poor.It was poor all along in other scan which i did fortnightly coz i was having cramps but yet it didnt ring an alarm bell for any of the stupid drs.I brought it up once asking why does she seem always lying on her side n i cldnt even get a face view n they brushed it off.During tht 12 week scan the only think the rediologist focused on n saw was the nasal bone..the rest of the parts he cldnt see he just happily put Not seen.
At Raffles however the dr was able to see all the impt parts at 12 week scan.Everything..kidneys..bladder..etc..
thts why i wld strongly recommend not going to KK.The dr who who does this fetal scans at Raffles is Dr tony Tan.Very thorough!

shiseru

yup at the 12 week scan it cld have been discovered.It wasnt like she had one prob she had total organ failure..and her movement during the scan was very poor.It was poor all along in other scan which i did fortnightly coz i was having cramps but yet it didnt ring an alarm bell for any of the stupid drs.I brought it up once asking why does she seem always lying on her side and i cldnt even get a face view and they brushed it off.During tht 12 week scan the only think the rediologist focused on and saw was the nasal bone..the rest of the parts he cldnt see he just happily put Not seen.
At Raffles however the dr was able to see all the impt parts at 12 week scan.Everything..kidneys..bladder..etc..
thts why i wld strongly recommend not going to KK.The dr who who does this fetal scans at Raffles is Dr tony Tan.Very thorough!
Holy shi-, sounds bad! But I thought the detailed scan only can be done on the 20 weeks? Did you report this to KK?

I am seeing Dr KT Tan, a senior consultant at KK TPS now.

jasobias

Holy shi-, sounds bad! But I thought the detailed scan only can be done on the 20 weeks? Did you report this to KK?

I am seeing Dr KT Tan, a senior consultant at KK TPS now.
Ya the detailed scan is at 20 weeks but 12 week scan is just as impt.If u look at the checklist there is stuff tht they had to measure n fill up but mine were not.When they found out the prob at 20 weeks..it was all too late.I was scanned by the senior drs n each scan was at least 1hr n u know wht..it was free.N worse they used me as a case study without asking me.My case was viewed by the board of drs n my baby had no chance of survival at all.
Just a really bad experience..doesnt matter if the dr is a sr consultant..those who saw me were all tht n above.N they really lack bedside manners.

marlysha

on the 27/7 i will be going for the down syndrome test...im actually nervous to know the result...i wish to know...usually aft the down syndrome test do we need to see our gynae on that day..how abt the result?? can i know on the spot???

for my case...aft the down syndrome test i can go back home and my next appt with my gynae KT Tan(KKH) will be next mth(august)...i feel that kind of too long to meet my gynae...

shiseru

marlysha, I know my result on the spot, coz KK took my blood test when I went for my 9 weeks scan. So the day after the FTS, they combined the scan & blood test and tell me the results.

Me too, i had my scan in June, and the next appt with Dr Tan was a month later, yeah that was kinda long but it's okay becoz you will see your BB on the TV monitor for 20 mins! :blaugh:

marlysha

marlysha, I know my result on the spot, coz KK took my blood test when I went for my 9 weeks scan. So the day after the FTS, they combined the scan & blood test and tell me the results.

Me too, i had my scan in June, and the next appt with Dr Tan was a month later, yeah that was kinda long but it's okay becoz you will see your baby on the TV monitor for 20 mins! :blaugh:
thanks shiseru...

Hi all... am here to share gd news!
The result of D.S. test for my boy has been cleared.
Both hubby and me were nervous when gynae announced the result.
Now heavy load off.. waiting to go for the detailed scan on 23rd Jul. ^^