Forbidden food during pregnancy

Alisa

just don eat it everyday ba. actually asian babies will have jaundice not matter what, its just whether the jaundice is serious or not. even if i never take curry, my baby will still have jaundice cuz im a g6pd carrier so my baby is g6pd deficiency and have to be discharged after 5days only.

my mil even say don take chili cuz baby will have sticky tears that will stick their eyes together... bull sh*t! my hubby had this is bcuz he kept crying and he cried to sleep that his tears dry up and sticked his eye lid! as i have very bad morning sickness, i need to have chili if not i will vomit out. so far my baby's eye is not sticked by his tears ya. just eat everything moderate lor.

Eliza

Is it true that pregnant women should not eat curry? Like seriously?
Take everything in moderation. No old wives tales.. extra spicy food will cause contraction and preferable don't take in the first trimester. I took spicy food on my 37th week coz cannot 'tahan' without chilli and my child was born at the start of 38th week. :)

xiaodaisy

i guess depends on everyone , i didnt rly eat curry much during current pregnancy , cos i will get the curry taste in my throat the whole day long wen i burp , disgusting =x

but its not due to those old myth tales .. some pregnant ladies didnt take chilli cos it may cause heartburn to some mummies therefore they avoid =)

eat anything u crave for , u like in moderation .. =) tats the key to our diet !!

mamaphua

Hi mamaphua,

Not true ... I have been eating fish head curry for whole 2 weeks sometimes during pregnancy...Just eat what you liked. :)
Thank you all mummies for sharing their experiences(;
And the forbidden fruits?
Heard watermelon and papaya and banana cannot eat.
It's very confusing caus when I read books about pregnancy caus at
Some part they say can eat tis and that then at a later part they say
Cannot eat almost everything..

Eliza

erm.. let's put it this way. the only thing i wouldn't eat is mackerel (batang). whether is it king mackerel or mackerel I stay away from them (no matter what other pple says or insist it's ok) and liver (too much or under cook, not good for unborn baby) and all those partially or undercook food. other than that, everything in moderation.

Last edited:

Dilys

Hi mamaphua,

Hmm personally I eat watermelon & abit of papaya. But banana I didn't touch at all. I was reminded by the old folks to avoid green banana.. So to play safe I don't take banana at all. Watermelon & papaya everything in moderation.

Of cos don't take those uncooked food or even raw food.. You never know those contain bacteria so just play safe.

Last edited:

mamaphua

erm.. let's put it this way. the only thing i wouldn't eat is mackerel (batang). whether is it king mackerel or mackerel I stay away from them (no matter what other pple says or insisit it's ok) and liver (too much or under cook, not good for unborn baby) and all those partially or undercook food. other than that, everything in moderation.
Wow. Oh ya,my gynae said something about canned tunas.. Maybe it's the same reason..
I used to eat half boiled eggs like every morning until Gynae said no):

mamaphua

Hi mamaphua,

Hmm personally I eat watermelon & abit of papaya. But banana I didn't touch at all. I was reminded by the old folks to avoid green banana.. So to play safe I dont't take banana at all. Watermelon & papaya everything in moderation.

Of cos dont't take those uncooked food or even raw food.. You never know those contain bacteria so just play safe.
Yesyes! I heard about it too. Gynae says no sushi!! Even soft boiled eggs are a no no):

verieying

Is it true that pregnant women should not eat curry? Like seriously?
hi hi, I guess it's not advisable if u get heartburn from it? I've always love my curries in previous pregnancies but this round, as I get heartburn easily, naturally eating curries give me heartburn so I kinda avoid unless I can't curb my craving!

so if u love it and am co fortable eating it, just go ahead! I sure want to up my curry intake again after I deliver as I miss it! ;)

mei2009

I eat any everyday food that is cooked and isn't a big predator fish. Guess it really depends on the person. A nutritionist told me to eat bland stuff for morning sickness but I must have flavourful stuff else I'll feel sick. A friend was "overdue" at 41 weeks and doctor said eating pails of curry also wouldn't help!

Dilys

I eat any everyday food that is cooked and isn't a big predator fish. Guess it really depends on the person. A nutritionist told me to eat bland stuff for morning sickness but I must have flavourful stuff else I'll feel sick. A friend was "overdue" at 41 weeks and doctor said eating pails of curry also wouldn't help!
Hi mei2009,

It's torturing to eat bland stuff everyday. Usually people will drink coconut juice to cool down mother"s body before delivery.. It helps to cleanse baby"body so at least baby won't be so bloody... By taking too much curry at last trimester create stress to baby .. That's why baby don't come out ... :)

Jenni

Hi mei2009,

It's torturing to eat bland stuff everyday. Usually people will drink coconut juice to cool down mother"s body before delivery.. It helps to cleanse baby"body so at least baby won't be so bloody... By taking too much curry at last trimester create stress to baby .. That's why baby don't come out ... :)
To me i eat everything i wan, i still eat sushi, for me alot of things i don like the smell, only some food i can eat so i eat whatever i wan..

mei2009

Oh I like coconut juice and sushi!! But I can't find coconut juice here and I dare not eat sushi here cos I don't know if it's fresh... It's very uncharacteristic of me but I'm craving all sorts of Sg food right now... I'd better go back to Sg to deliver so that I can eat and drink all I want! Hope to fly back by 32 weeks...

Jenni

Oh I like coconut juice and sushi!! But I can't find coconut juice here and I dare not eat sushi here cos I don't know if it's fresh... It's very uncharacteristic of me but I'm craving all sorts of Sg food right now... I'd better go back to Sg to deliver so that I can eat and drink all I want! Hope to fly back by 32 weeks...
My mum told me coconut only can drink around 7mths onwards, 1 weeks once i think, to clean our stomach so when deliver baby will be cleaner or what...

mei2009

My mum told me coconut only can drink around 7mths onwards, 1 weeks once i think, to clean our stomach so when deliver baby will be cleaner or what...
Oh so late ah? Cos I heard it's also good for morning sickness.. But I'll only drink it out of the coconut, not a 330ml can! And I like to scrap the coconut flesh too :)

marshmallows

I only avoided cockles, soft boiled eggs, sharks fin, deli meats like ham etc during my pregnancy. I'm not into spicy food so didn't crave for curry. I ate salmon sashimi too but do be careful, restaurant-grade sashimi is definitely fresher than those selling from takeaway counters. Initially I refrain from eating sashimi too but i had a strong craving for it in my 3rd trimester. Several of my preggy friends also ate sashimi n their gynea say it's ok to eat in moderation as long as it is fresh (from reputable restaurants).

I couldn't eat pork during my pregnancy. Made me wanna puke.