Preg ladies terminated from service cos of pregnancy ?

bellerichez

My girlfriend who is 3 mth pregnant got sacked today on the spot. Now she's very lost. Dunno what to do. She keep crying when i called her just now. Feel so sad for her.

Triquetra

My girlfriend who is 3 month pregnant got sacked today on the spot. Now she's very lost. dont know what to do. She keep crying when i called her just now. Feel so sad for her.
No notice period?
When is her last day and EDD?
My previous company also 'retrenched' me after I informed them about my pregnancy... Luckily my very last day happened to be the first day of the last 6 months of my EDD and thus I was protected under the Children Development Co-Savings Act.

bellerichez

No notice period?
When is her last day and EDD?
My previous company also 'retrenched' me after I informed them about my pregnancy... Luckily my very last day happened to be the first day of the last 6 months of my EDD and thus I was protected under the Children Development Co-Savings Act.

Nope. She got sacked on the spot. Her boss damn evil. Her EDD is 20 FEB 2010.

beatricemom

read abt the thread and realised i'm not alone...
i was asked to resign when i was due to deliver in 2 weeks time, from an australian company.
the local office that i was working in was handled by a female lady, she herself has 2 grown up kids of her own.

My situation was worse, she had already offered my job to a previous staff even while i was still in the office! She claimed that with 2 kids, i would be better off with a job that calls for more regular hours....and behind all these, she claimed to our head office in australia that i willingly resigned on my own.
my maternity leave was only covered for 3 mths.
she claimed that the 4th mth was used to compensate them fo rthe over-used hopitalisation leave!

I would have kicked up a big fuss to the head off in aust, but decided against it as i do not want to make matters worse....
instead, i live it up to the max and enjoyed every moment of being with the kids.... and also helping in hubby's biz... my ultimate aim is to prove that bitch that family is equally impt while u are niching out a career out there...
sadly, though she has 2 grown up kids, she doesnt share a close relationship with them...

kym

read about the thread and realised i'm not alone...
i was asked to resign when i was due to deliver in 2 weeks time, from an australian company.
the local office that i was working in was handled by a female lady, she herself has 2 grown up kids of her own.

My situation was worse, she had already offered my job to a previous staff even while i was still in the office! She claimed that with 2 kids, i would be better off with a job that calls for more regular hours....and behind all these, she claimed to our head office in australia that i willingly resigned on my own.
she claimed that the 4th month was used to compensate them fo rthe over-used hopitalisation leave!

I would have kicked up a big fuss to the head off in aust, but decided against it as i do not want to make matters worse....
instead, i live it up to the max and enjoyed every moment of being with the kids.... and also helping in hubby's biz... my ultimate aim is to prove that bitch that family is equally impt while you are niching out a career out there...
sadly, though she has 2 grown up kids, she doesnt share a close relationship with them...
Same as woman, how can she not stand on your side? I look down on such female boss!

The goverment will pay for the last 8 weeks of maternity leave for first 2 confinement.

(i) Government-Paid Maternity Leave Scheme

Description
2004 M&P package
2008 M&P package
Employee’s entitlement
12 weeks of paid maternity leave
16 weeks of paid maternity leave
Payment by employer:

First 2 confinements

First 8 weeks
First 8 weeks
3rd and subsequent confinements
-
-
Payment by Government

First 2 confinements

Last 4 weeks
Last 8 weeks
3rd and subsequent confinements
Full 12 weeks
(for 3rd and 4th child)
Full 16 weeks

kym

Nope. She got sacked on the spot. Her boss damn evil. Her EDD is 20 FEB 2010.

check the highlighted clause d).

What are the changes that have been made to maternity leave?

With effect from 17 Aug 2008:

a) Paid maternity leave will be for up to 16 weeks (previously 12 weeks). For the first two confinements, the first eight weeks of maternity leave will continue to be employer-paid. The last eight weeks will be funded by the Government (capped at $10,000 per four weeks, i.e. $20,000 per confinement including CPF contributions). For the third and subsequent confinements, the full 16 weeks will be funded by the Government (capped at $10,000 per four weeks, i.e. $40,000 per confinement including CPF contributions). The last eight weeks may be taken flexibly within a 12-month period from the birth of the child.
b) To qualify for maternity leave benefits, the mother must have worked for at least 90 days with the employer (previously 180 days).
c) Maternity leave benefits will be payable even if the pregnant employee is retrenched within the last three months of pregnancy.
d) Maternity leave benefits will be payable even if the pregnant employee is dismissed without sufficient cause within the last 6 months of pregnancy*.

* Includes termination of employment with or without notice.

beatricemom

wouldnt want to argue with them too... called mom and mom says as long as the employer is paying the maternity benefits we have no case against them....
sigh... even the ministry cant do anything to help.
but watever it is, i never look back and am glad that i left as well... what could be more impt than my babies.... :)

bellerichez

read about the thread and realised i'm not alone...

she claimed that the 4th month was used to compensate them fo rthe over-used hopitalisation leave!

instead, i live it up to the max and enjoyed every moment of being with the kids.... and also helping in hubby's biz... my ultimate aim is to prove that bitch that family is equally impt while you are niching out a career out there...

Complain to MOM. She herself is a mom yet she do this. Don't worry, karma will hit her next generation (her grown up kids). Actually quite disappointing lah. BOSS who sacked pregnant ladies are those who already have kids. I wonder what are they thinking????

bellerichez

check the highlighted clause d).

What are the changes that have been made to maternity leave?

With effect from 17 Aug 2008:

a) Paid maternity leave will be for up to 16 weeks (previously 12 weeks). For the first two confinements, the first eight weeks of maternity leave will continue to be employer-paid. The last eight weeks will be funded by the Government (capped at $10,000 per four weeks, i.e. $20,000 per confinement including CPF contributions). For the third and subsequent confinements, the full 16 weeks will be funded by the Government (capped at $10,000 per four weeks, i.e. $40,000 per confinement including CPF contributions). The last eight weeks may be taken flexibly within a 12-month period from the birth of the child.
b) To qualify for maternity leave benefits, the mother must have worked for at least 90 days with the employer (previously 180 days).
c) Maternity leave benefits will be payable even if the pregnant employee is retrenched within the last three months of pregnancy.
d) Maternity leave benefits will be payable even if the pregnant employee is dismissed without sufficient cause within the last 6 months of pregnancy*.

* Includes termination of employment with or without notice.

I asked her to call MOM already. You know what? That company even cut her pay for no reason. Sacked her on the spot is already very ker lian, some more cut her pay for no reason.

beatricemom

I asked her to call MOM already. You know what? That company even cut her pay for no reason. Sacked her on the spot is already very ker lian, some more cut her pay for no reason.

Well, whatever it is, even when preggys are caught in such situations, the most important thing is not to sallow in your plight. Pick up yourself and for the sake of the family and the kid/s, brace yourself and look forward.
I did, and I never regretted. Life is a little tougher on a single income but no monies can actually replace the bond that I have with my kids and hubby.

Funny though, on hindsight, I do thank that B**** for what's happened. The whole incident actually brought my hubby and I closer and i share an even closer relationship with my kids. So all is not lost for me at the end of the day.
")