Where Do You Store Your BreastMilk At?

elaine01

Hi Mummies, i'm currently bfing my baby.

However,it seems like im running out of advent milk bottles lol

Any suggestions on where i should store my ebm at?

And another question sometimes i express more then 100ml of milk and kept them in the freezer but it seems like a waste whenever my ds doesnt finish all 100ml of it. What should i do?
but VIA cups or milkbags.

try to freeze in 2~3 oz(where bb will be defintely able to finish) to prevent wastage. even if baby cant finish, EBM can still be kept at room temp for quite a few hours. probably can let bb finish the balance at the next feed.

Hi mummies

i store in the 90ml glass bottle, no worries of plastic bottle chemicals and etc and as it is small amount my baby sitter can accomdate to what my baby need. if you want i can pass you all some bottles, got from the hospital, brand new not open yet. pm me

jongivy

I have used up all 20 VIA cups, and I am running out of storage. Each time, I pumped 320ml, 6 times a day. My baby is only a week old. I am looking for the Avent milk bags, any idea where to find? I know they have discontinued, but was hoping someone still have stock. The rest of the milk bags are quite ex, and they come in 20bags or 30 bags only per pack. WHere got enough? I think 1 day I will finish using it.

elaine01

I have used up all 20 VIA cups, and I am running out of storage. Each time, I pumped 320ml, 6 times a day. My baby is only a week old. I am looking for the Avent milk bags, any idea where to find? I know they have discontinued, but was hoping someone still have stock. The rest of the milk bags are quite ex, and they come in 20bags or 30 bags only per pack. WHere got enough? I think 1 day I will finish using it.
:err: wow......6 x 320ml per day.......

SharonTan

I just bot the milk tray that allows me to freeze milk in blocks.. 30mls per block.. bot from the motherhood fair, was $31.50? but cos i went on the first day and was the first 50 customers, i got it at half price. I find it pretty useful, no longer need to buy milk bags anymore.. just zip lock bags. den can thaw easier too.

joanne6298

me using blue egg.. but isnt all storage bags the same?

BTW zip lock bag got brands one??

where can i get milk tray and how to use one?

ice cubes tray can a not?

newbie2009

If your baby is only taking 100ml each time... then split the milk up into two portions. Make sure the milk is mixed up first (ie you can't see separate layers of milk before you pour the milk out) otherwise one portion may end up having more fore/hind milk than the other.

I used to use Avent milk bags but I understand they're not being sold anymore. BMSG sells both Lansinoh and Kaneson milk bags (prices here)

Alternatively, you can go to the hospitals and ask for glass milk bottles... you can steralise them each time you use them. I know many moms who do this.
which hospital still offers glass bottles? I know that KKH does not use bottles anymore.

ccaccpcch

which hospital still offers glass bottles? I know that Kandang Kerbau Hospital does not use bottles anymore.
Hi newbie2009
I got to know from my lactation consultant that the availability of glass bottles depend on the milk brand used. KKH is currently using Enfalac & they come in plastic bottles that have to be thrown. Should the milk brand change to Friso, Similac, Nestle Nan & Dumex, then there'll be glass bottles. Priority will be for premature babies. She doesn't know when will the milk brand be changed.

diymummy

has anyone tried evenflo milk storage bottles? are they good?

are those breastmilk bags reusable?
Best not to re-use breastmilk bags... When breastmilk bags are bought, they're already pre-sterilised. So it'll be clean when you pour in your milk. If you're storing milk to feed a baby below 1 year old (this is a guideline I give myself), best to use clean containers to prevent contamination. Their digestive systems might not be able to manage the contaminants and they might get diarrhea as a result.

Tabita Blue

Hi mummies

I used to store my ebm in glass bottles but it takes up alot of space in the fridge. Switched to Nanny Breastmilk Storage bags instead and was so happy with the milk bags purchased from www.foodfortotz.com Excellent quality, very durable, extra-thick and BPA-free! The freezed milk can be stored and good to use for as long as 3 months. So for nursing mummie out there, Nanny BreastMilk Storage Bags are your Best Choice and Solutions to the storage of breastmilk !!

Last edited:

adelynn

i use milk trays to freeze my milk into 30ML bars and then store them in double zip lock bags. Alternatively i use milk bags too. This saves storage space and allows me to maximize my freezer space.

I have a freezer that is used solely to freeze EBM so as to minimize contamination.

elaine01

i use milk trays to freeze my milk into 30ML bars and then store them in double zip lock bags. Alternatively i use milk bags too. This saves storage space and allows me to maximize my freezer space.

I have a freezer that is used solely to freeze EBM so as to minimize contamination.
That's what I'll do if #2 ever comes along!:tlaugh:

Tabita Blue

That's what I'll do if #2 ever comes along!:tlaugh:
Yes, I agreed with you that proper storage of our precious ebm is important. Beside uncluttering fridge space, I used it when I am at work, very convenient. dont't have to bring so many bottles. Just the storage bags. I will pumped in the office, freezed it and transport home in a cooler bag and when home, straight into the freezer. This way, I can still maintain the freshness and all the nutrients of the ebm. I saw this link, nursing mums, you may want to check it out :)

http://www.mummysg.com/forums/f103/nanny-breastmilk-storage-bags-offer-not-missed-41247/

Missy S

Hi Adelynn, may I ask where did you purchase your milk trays? I recently bought one pair, but find it really difficult to remove the frozen milk sticks and need to ask hubby to help me.

And, when preparing your baby's feed, how did you take the frozen milk out of the zip lock bags? I read that since the milk are frozen, it is all right to use your hands as long as they are washed and cleaned... Is it true?

How do you store them in the zip lock bags? Do you combine a no of days frozen milk sticks together or separate them by per day?

puppydog

Hi Adelynn, may I ask where did you purchase your milk trays? I recently bought one pair, but find it really difficult to remove the frozen milk sticks and need to ask hubby to help me.

And, when preparing your baby's feed, how did you take the frozen milk out of the zip lock bags? I read that since the milk are frozen, it is all right to use your hands as long as they are washed and cleaned... Is it true?

How do you store them in the zip lock bags? Do you combine a no of days frozen milk sticks together or separate them by per day?
Hi Missy S

I had the same experience with you when I used milk trays, the frozen milk sticks very difficult to remove and complete waste of time and milk! Storing ebm in zip lock bags is not a good option too as these bags are not pre-sterlised and BPA-free. In addition, using our hands to handle the frozen milk is not advisable, though our hands are thoroughly washed, there is still traces of bacteria and chemcial residue on our hands! I was advised by my gynae not to use this method of storing our ebm.

We put in so much efforts and time to express our milk. Feeling assured that our ebm is stored at its best is important and I guess it is worth to invest in good milk bags. Many advantages and it makes the process of bf a breeze!

Last edited:

adelynn

i bought mine online. As for removal i twist both sides of the trays slightly and pop them right into the storage bags

the storage bags i used are specially meant for breastmilk , pre-sterilized & BPA free, i get them from US from a friend of mine. she helps me buy and ship them back to me. so its not the typical zip lock bags u see in the supermarkets.

as for storage, 1 pack usually is for a day's feed so minimal in-and-out of freezer.

as for handling, my help uses a tong to take it out and pop right into the milk bottles and put it in the fridge to thaw for use when necessary

alternatively, if you find it too much of a hassle, you can use milk bags as what puppydog recommends. i used that for awhile too before i got my milk trays but i had too much wastage so i changed to milk trays