EDD Sep 2010

lekdao

ya.... me too... on air-con still can perspire!!!

as for after childbirth... my mother in law say she felt cold and constantly shivers after she delivers... :)

anyway the thought of not bathing already puts me off...

Well is individual, for me mayb the air-con blowing at me so i dun feel hot in the night. hahaha

Well, my 1st delivery i dun feel cold at allz. 2nd delivery i felt cold and shivers till i asked hubby for my sweater when nurses wheeled me to my rm.

That is why alot of ppl says, giving brith is nothing, the most torture time is the confinement period; cannot bath. if cannot bath then clean the body twice a day. Remember to boil water with lemon grass, ginger and add some rice wine or herbs.

lekdao

Heard that the perspiration gets even worse after childbirth as our bodies lose all the excess water retained - is it true? But we're supposed to protect ourselves from catching a chill during confinement month - how? No air con or fan? :S Sounds terribly uncomfortable!
Yes, will persired alot especially when u hving ur meals. I put small towel on my back (inside the clothing), and hanky with me to wipe my forehead and neck when hving and after meals. Change ur clothing when gets wet.

Close all the window and doors when u clean ur body or bathing. Can on air con (mild cooling temp), dun forget u r in the aircon room when u r hospitalise. If wanna on fan, cannot blow directly at u. It is to circulate fresh cool air into the room then u will not feel so hot.

My friend delivered May 2009. She told herself wanna strictly follow the old rules no shower, no fan and no aircon. 1st week she cannot tahan, on fan. 2nd week she on-ed aircon .....

I stay above coffeeshop, selling teo chew porridge and zhi char. Can image how hot is it in the afternoon when they cook. plus the sun shine in after 4pm, really like suana. hahaha

nightingale

Hi all mummies,

I've just given birth to baby girl on the 18th aug.
was having regular contractions and was already 2.5cm dilated.
baby girl's out at 36 weeks old. a little pre mature. and now doctors says there's a hole in her heart. doctor also says that its normal in many pre mature babies and the hole will heal by itself. is it true the hole will heal by itself? i'm so worried now. baby girl is now at home already. :tsad::tsad::tsad:
Hey raine,

Can understand your worry - I would too if I were you - but from what I read it seems that it is not uncommon for premature babies to be born with a small hole in the heart, and very often it will heal as the baby grows. So I think your doctor is probably right, no need to worry too much now - the important thing is that it is detected so that you know the doctor is monitoring it and will do what he can to ensure that your baby's okay. :) Like mrs_eg said, stay positive and give your little girl lots of love!

By the way she looks so lovely on your pictures in facebook! :wong19:And you're looking good after delivery too!

Fiona73

ya.... me too... on air-con still can perspire!!!

as for after childbirth... my mother in law say she felt cold and constantly shivers after she delivers... :)

anyway the thought of not bathing already puts me off...
Yes....my Tee is always wet. Need to on the fan with Aircon to go back to sleep. Poor DH and DD is freezing...

My aircon was on for 24hrs during my last confinement, the sinseh say, as long the wind dun blow on you, is ok de. Aircon is better then fan. :welaugh:

mrs_eg

Yes....my Tee is always wet. Need to on the fan with Aircon to go back to sleep. Poor dear husband and dear daughter is freezing...

My aircon was on for 24hrs during my last confinement, the sinseh say, as long the wind dont blow on you, is ok . Aircon is better then fan. :welaugh:
Wah great!!! Even sinseh says can on aircon... As long as it doesnt blow at me rite? Cool! I'll definitely do that! Wahahaha...

Fiona73

Wah great!!! Even sinseh says can on aircon... As long as it doesnt blow at me rite? Cool! I'll definitely do that! Wahahaha...
Ya..that's what I am told. But the room temperture cant be too low till you feel cold. Keep it at 25-26 is ideal. Can start planning the resting area that the wind wont blow at you.

mrs_eg

Ya..that's what I am told. But the room temperture cant be too low till you feel cold. Keep it at 25-26 is ideal. Can start planning the resting area that the wind wont blow at you.
Hmmmm abit difficult to avoid... Our whole bed face the a/c... Unless i sleep elswhere... Will see how... Already very glad to know a sinseh give the green light... Hahahaha...

Hi all mummies,

baby girl's out at 36 weeks old. a little pre mature. and now doctors says there's a hole in her heart. doctor also says that its normal in many pre mature babies and the hole will heal by itself. is it true the hole will heal by itself? i'm so worried now. baby girl is now at home already. :tsad::tsad::tsad:
Congrats Raine!

Don't worry! If Doctor say she is fine, she should be fine. Go back for regular checkups okay! Very important to at least ease us mothers.

nightingale

Yes....my Tee is always wet. Need to on the fan with Aircon to go back to sleep. Poor dear husband and dear daughter is freezing...

My aircon was on for 24hrs during my last confinement, the sinseh say, as long the wind dont blow on you, is ok . Aircon is better then fan. :welaugh:
Sigh~ I think I am going to be one of those who will refuse to follow some of the confinement rituals... I cannot imagine not showering or sleeping without air con or fan. heh heh!

I've also heard that some say cannot drink water, and only red date tea is allowed - does anyone know what's the rationale for that? According to western literature, breastfeeding mums should drink plenty of water, in fact most recommend that we have water next to us during breastfeeding. When east meets west and the ideas contradict each other, it's so confusing hahaha~ how ah??

EDIT: Just came across this thread elsewhere about reasons for not drinking water during confinement. What do you think? ;)
http://www.mummysg.com/forums/f39/y-cannt-drink-plain-water-during-confinement-period-15524/

Last edited:
Hi all mummies,

Congrats Raine~

Don't worry too much.. Just concentrate on taking good care of your baby and yourself. Everything will be fine :)

lekdao

Hi all mummies,

Hi Ranie,

My gf daugther also born with a hole in her heart, after some time (dun know how long) now everything is fine.

Dun worry, premature born with their organ(s) not fully develop. everything will be fine once fully develop.

Stay strong for your family and baby.

mrs_eg

Sigh~ I think I am going to be one of those who will refuse to follow some of the confinement rituals... I cannot imagine not showering or sleeping without air con or fan. heh heh!

I've also heard that some say cannot drink water, and only red date tea is allowed - does anyone know what's the rationale for that? According to western literature, breastfeeding mums should drink plenty of water, in fact most recommend that we have water next to us during breastfeeding. When east meets west and the ideas contradict each other, it's so confusing hahaha~ how ??

EDIT: Just came across this thread elsewhere about reasons for not drinking water during confinement. What do you think? ;)
http://www.mummysg.com/forums/f39/y-cannt-drink-plain-water-during-confinement-period-15524/
There seem to be a mixture of opinions in that thread... But i think really up to individual body... Sm ppl easily bloated and have water retention... Some dont seem to have such problem....

But I think I will see things as it goes... And I believe evryting has its limits... Example, there cases where some eat too much heaty food during confinement and in the end fall sick.... I think falling sick during confinement shldnt happen cos it is the period where you shld be recovering frm labour....

Anyway like I said... I will see how things goes... If i feel tht drinking too much red dates tea is giving me 'problems' (too heaty or what).... Or drinking those 'wolf' wine is causing problems (not sure if this is even advisible if im breastfeeding)... Or any other 'confinement' practices is resulting in more 'unwanted' issues then I think it will be best to moderate the intake....

lekdao

I've also heard that some say cannot drink water, and only red date tea is allowed - does anyone know what's the rationale for that? According to western literature, breastfeeding mums should drink plenty of water, in fact most recommend that we have water next to us during breastfeeding. When east meets west and the ideas contradict each other, it's so confusing hahaha~ how ??

They said if you drink plain water will hv water retention on your feet. How true i dunno. You can either drink red dates or brown rice water (taste better then red date water).

My CL said red dates water is better, it helps to produce milk. But i dun feel it leh. Everyday drank 2 flask of red date water but the milk supply is not as good as my first confinement. But then, dun hv enuff rest and stress will affect milk supply.

mrs_eg

They said if you drink plain water will have water retention on your feet. How true i dont know. You can either drink red dates or brown rice water (taste better then red date water).

My CL said red dates water is better, it helps to produce milk. But i dont feel it . Everyday drank 2 flask of red date water but the milk supply is not as good as my first confinement. But then, dont have enuff rest and stress will affect milk supply.
hey ppl,

went to google abit on what food can help produce more milk...

here are the websites...

Increase Breastmilk Supply With Lactogenic Foods: Some Foods Help Mothers Make More Milk

Natural Remedies for Nursing Mothers With Not Enough Breast Milk

Herbs to Increase Breastmilk Production: Herbal Remedies Can Help Low Milk Supply

Fiona73

My mum said this to me when I am doing my first confinement:

Plain water will cause yr womb to sink or lossen, therefore you will have tummy later on.

And I also remembered reading some articles stating the same thing, therefore, I follow this rule strictly. I was given red dates water, soup, and dessert to ensure enough water intake. And I manage to breastfeed exclusively for my No. 1 for 8 mths.

But again, is still an individual choice.

DELvy

Hi all mummies,

Raine...how's your girl doing? Everything will be fine =) Take care!

ah.bee

hi raine, i'm sure your baby girl will be alright! don't brood over it, if the doctor says it's nothing to worry about, then i'm sure she'll be fine in no time :) for now just relax and spend lots of time with your baby!

as for no plain water during confinement, i've also heard about it but not sure why. but i guess there's a reason for every myth, so i'll try as far as possible to follow. in the first place i'm not the type who drinks a lot of plain water, so i guess i'll enjoy drinking red date tea etc hehe.

Wow it's been a while since I last posted in this thread! So excited to learn that some mummies have popped! Congrats!! Wonder when's my turn .. Getting so heavy already hehe... 36 weeks now but been having light menses like cramps these couple of days =(

How r u mummies coping? Evythg packed?? So scary!

Raine, dun worry , ur baby will be juz fine k? Read that it's a pretty normal condition. We will keep u in our prayers!