EDD Sep 2010

LittleWorm

my girl's next jab is in nov.
LittleLady, my bb's next jab in nov too!! Will you be going bk to your pediatrician for the jab or you will be going to polyclinics or private clinics to do the jab?? Taking the 5-in-1 or 6-in-1 jab?? My pediatrician mentioned 6-in-1 will have lesser jabs but may cause fever so in a dilemma which jab to take.

LittleWorm

Thanks for the replies and sharing, mummies. :) Wah just had our one-month celebration today so I'm getting pretty excited about looking after baby on our own (after confinement nanny goes home) - so used to having someone around to attend to baby's needs, I hope it will not come as too much of a shock to me! Those of you who had confinement nannies, did you have trouble adjusting to not having one initially?

Am also excited about bringing baby out! hehe! Those of you who have already started going out shopping with your little ones - any useful tips to share? What essential items must you have in your diaper bag?

Also, do any of you stay over at your parents' place sometimes? Before baby's arrival we would go over to my mum's every weekend to stay overnight; am planning to do the same with baby. Not sure whether feasible or not - also hoping that baby will not have difficulty sleeping at night when she's over there!
Talking about 1st month celebration, care to share which caterer are you mummies using? Anyone tried Neo Garden or Four Seasons? How's the food and service?

Nightingale, how many guests did you invite and how many pax did you catered for?? Is the food enough?

For those guests who came for baby shower, do you still give cake vouchers or gifts to them? Who do u normally give for cake vouchers?

lekdao

lekdao,
thank you for your information. the shop you talking about isit upstairs the hawker centre? if it is i always go there and buy my toiletries. hee. you stay around there?

Yes, its upstair the hawker centre. Heehee .... i dun stay in that area, me stay near parkway parade. i always go there to shop for my toiletries supply for 6 mths, at the same time shop for my kids toiletries too. Really cheap and long term run can save alot.

lekdao

Am also excited about bringing baby out! hehe! Those of you who have already started going out shopping with your little ones - any useful tips to share? What essential items must you have in your diaper bag?

Items and qty to bring depends on your baby, but its always good to bring more for standby.

Items include:
1. J&J wet wipes - bring normal pack (80 wipes, need not scare run out).
2. J&J wet wipes for face and hand - travel pack (dun use often)
3. Dettol Hand sterilizer gel
4. baby clothing - 3 to 4 sets (depends baby puke or not)
5. bibs/hanky
6. mittens/booties
7. pampers
8. hot /warm water - in case need to wash baby (u never know)
9. Mug - if feeding EBM (warm up EBM)

Also, do any of you stay over at your parents' place sometimes? Before baby's arrival we would go over to my mum's every weekend to stay overnight; am planning to do the same with baby. Not sure whether feasible or not - also hoping that baby will not have difficulty sleeping at night when she's over there!

you can consider to leave some baby clothing and pampers at your parent's place. Then you need not bring so many things over the weekends. You need to try out if baby can sleep over at parents place. Of coz now is a good time to train her.
Replied in blue

mrs_eg

Sometime it wont be full feed coz you dont know how she drink. bottle feeding ebm we know how much to feed and how long it last. if using bottle it leaks means the teats dont suit her, you gotta change and try out which suit her. What brand teats you using?
Tommee tippee... Huh that means i have to change the entire bottle range?!?!

lekdao

Oh yes before I forget, I have a quick question: after the first immunisation jabs at the hospital at birth, when did you next bring your babies for the next round? 4 weeks?

Fiona: you use the Dettol Gel together with the wet wipes?

AT birth hospital will give BCG, and Hep B is optional. the hospital of pediatiian shd hv inform you when the next jab is.

for my gal Hep B was given at my gynae clinic, from there they will follow up with me when is the next jab. However, i still trust my PD, when due for jab the clinic will call me to make appt. he also will advise me when and what is needed to give, and he will tell me the importance of the jab. The best i like abt this PD is he give tips taking care of the baby and pro on breastfeeding.

lekdao

I think b4 you change the bottle, u try a few more times on her, mayb she has not adjust to the teat as compare to your nipple.

For Tommee tippee u hv to change the entire range. for others u may just need to change the teats.

If you want to change, get a single that can fits different brands of teats. you try to call or go to kiddy palace and check out with the sales person before you get new bottle(s).

Thanks

gnaf21

Hi Mummies,

I am finally back. Gosh it has been a really hectic week for me. Baby refused to come out and need to be induced. Went hosp at 12am on 6th Oct. Put 2 tablets and only 3cm dilated. Doc burst water bag after 3cm and put me on drip. I tahan the pain for 4 hrs till it got intense and doc then tell me no improvement. Had a mental breakdown and cannot tahan anymore and asked for epi. Thought all will be well but by 10pm, I was still 5cm. In the end had emergency c-sect instead as doc say no point waiting. I was devastated. Perhaps if I had taken the epi when waterbag burst, I will have at least 4 hrs more to buy. Very depressed about it. Was wondering why the doc never let me wait somemore as I see pple continue to wait for 3 more hrs then can improve from 5cm to 10cm. I will never know I guess...

But after that gynae told me my pelvic is high and baby quite hard to get out during c-sect so even if natural, might have problem getting baby out. Not sure if true anot but I guess at least baby is healthy and fine so that was most impt.

However it is really tiring with the c-sect. 5th and 6th day baby keep crying and I am lacking of milk. My nipples are sore and my wound in pain. Feel so useless as I cannot do much as baby super hungry and dehydrated. I thought I was feeding him enough but seems not. I ended up feeding him water and he felt much better. The weather is really very hot!

I am so tempted to switch to formula milk so I do not have to latch him on and alleviate my wound. Still trying hard with bf and hopefully I will not give up yet. I am seeing mature milk today and better flow so I guess it is a good encouragement!

mrs_eg

I also did the same thing. I will give about 60-70ml EBM, then allow her to latch on. Since she always fallen asleep when latching on, but due to the earlier EBM, I guess she got enough and also sleep longer like 2-3hrs. No matter what is still better then she woke up houry looking for her milk.
Will probably try ur method thanx!

gnaf21

I am using Medela Mini Electric. I notice that I have milk when I use my fingers to squeeze but when I use the pump, it does not seem to be able to squeeze much milk. What's wrong? However when I see my baby latch on, he seems to be swallowing quite some milk.

By the way, if no milk, do you all still keep pumping to simulate more milk?

mrs_eg

AT birth hospital will give BCG, and Hep B is optional. the hospital of pediatiian should have inform you when the next jab is.

for my gal Hep B was given at my gynae clinic, from there they will follow up with me when is the next jab. However, i still trust my pediatrician, when due for jab the clinic will call me to make appt. he also will advise me when and what is needed to give, and he will tell me the importance of the jab. The best i like about this pediatrician is he give tips taking care of the baby and pro on breastfeeding.
Mind sharing which paediatrician u go to? :)

lekdao

Mind sharing which paediatrician you go to? :)

Dr. Teoh at Mt. E Medical Centre #09-05, tel 6235 1443. Just sent my younger gal for jab on last monday. Next week shd be going there again as elder gal due for jab too.

They open on saturday afternoon too. if you going there, tell the nurse recommend by joo chiat mummy. hahaha

thanks

mecolemummy

Hi Mummies,

I am finally back. Gosh it has been a really hectic week for me. Baby refused to come out and need to be induced. Went hospital at 12am on 6th Oct. Put 2 tablets and only 3cm dilated. Doc burst water bag after 3cm and put me on drip. I tahan the pain for 4 hours till it got intense and doc then tell me no improvement. Had a mental breakdown and cannot tahan anymore and asked for epi. Thought all will be well but by 10pm, I was still 5cm. In the end had emergency c-sect instead as doc say no point waiting. I was devastated. Perhaps if I had taken the epi when waterbag burst, I will have at least 4 hours more to buy. Very depressed about it. Was wondering why the doc never let me wait somemore as I see pple continue to wait for 3 more hours then can improve from 5cm to 10cm. I will never know I guess...

But after that gynae told me my pelvic is high and baby quite hard to get out during c-sect so even if natural, might have problem getting baby out. Not sure if true anot but I guess at least baby is healthy and fine so that was most impt.

However it is really tiring with the c-sect. 5th and 6th day baby keep crying and I am lacking of milk. My nipples are sore and my wound in pain. Feel so useless as I cannot do much as baby super hungry and dehydrated. I thought I was feeding him enough but seems not. I ended up feeding him water and he felt much better. The weather is really very hot!

I am so tempted to switch to formula milk so I do not have to latch him on and alleviate my wound. Still trying hard with bf and hopefully I will not give up yet. I am seeing mature milk today and better flow so I guess it is a good encouragement!
Congratulation on ur delivery!
Don't stress urself over breastfeeding. If by feeding formula makes u feel more in control of ur emotion dan go ahead! It will not make u a less of a mother... and maybe when ur baby is more settled back home with everyone and ur wound better, u can try latching again or u can try like many of us here giving both BM and formula. Stay happy, ur baby can feel it! Jiayou! ^^

mecolemummy

Glad u ladies find the calculation useful!

Littlelady,
it's normal to get jumpy over our little one behavior even for those who has gone through it before!!! LOL!!!

Mrs Eg,
yes... literally call Boogie wipes! I got them from Taka... I think I saw it at Kiddy Palace too.

Fiona73

Tried to montior awhile longer, since your baby is totally breastfeeding. They need time to adjust to the teat. Try to remove the teat after a few suckle, allow sometime for her to breathe or drink up the milk in her mouth. I also face the same problem when I first introduce btl to Jaine. Now she getting better with it. If not, is going to be a costly move to start everything especially, you dun not which teat is suitable.

nightingale

I am using Medela Mini Electric. I notice that I have milk when I use my fingers to squeeze but when I use the pump, it does not seem to be able to squeeze much milk. What's wrong? However when I see my baby latch on, he seems to be swallowing quite some milk.

By the way, if no milk, do you all still keep pumping to simulate more milk?
Hey congrats gnaf21!! Finally your little one has made his appearance! Yes, at the beginning even if there is little or no milk, just keep pumping every 2-3 hrs to stimulate the milk flow, it should come within the first few days. :) Press on!

Also agree with Mecolemummy that if you are feeling too stressed over the milk coming in, it's okay to supplement with formula if it helps you feel less pressured about having to feed your baby. I made that decision on Day 3 when my milk was still not in, and because I had difficulties latching my baby, I was worried sick about poor baby's lack of nourishment and also jaundice. So we supplemented with formula - up til today i am still supplementing with formula because my breastmilk isn't enough. But it has helped to calm me down so that I can concentrate on the expressing - really keeps us sane!

Interestingly, I find that the Medela Mini Electric works best for me so far. I started with the Medela Freestyle, then tried the Mini Electric, and also the Avent Manual pump. Not sure why - maybe I'm not using it right? - the manual pump doesn't seem to have a strong suction, and not much milk is expressed. I also like the Mini Electric because it has the fewest parts to wash and sterilise! A lot more convenient especially when we are expressing so frequently each day. :) Try pumping and massaging your breast at the same time - I find this works well for me.

Sorry Nightingale for not replying as have been very busy.

Wow...you must have been very happy to reach 120ml...these few days my milk supply has went up little tiny bit from 10ml to 20ml...tomorrow I will go back to gynae to get medication to increase milk supply...

Share with you advice from my massage lady...try latching on baby to increase milk supply...just pumping alone is not good enough to stimulate your brain to increase more milkflow. In the beginning was tough to latch her on, she will cry like I'm abusing her but after 2 days she's used to it...it's your will against your baby's will...see who's stronger haha perhaps you can give it a try n see if your milk supply can be improved. Ohh also if you have not yet tried lactating mum's milk, try n see if it works too!!

Now I'm pumping 20-25 mins on each breast (swing only has single pump so very tiring for me). I think time may not be so impt, more impt is to empty each breast right??
I did read that it is important to empty the breasts in order to stimulate more milk production; I also read that it is better to have 2 sessions of 15 mins than 1 session of 30 mins - basically the frequency of pumping sessions is more important than the length of each session. The more often our breasts are stimulated, the better. Although I do experience that there is less milk per session if I pump every 2 hrs, than if I pump every 3 hrs - but in the long run there is more I guess? And signals to the brain that there is a high demand for more milk. Well, still experimenting... may take some time for us to establish a comfortable demand-supply routine.

Last edited:

nightingale

Sigh.. I have a patch of stretchmarks around my belly button area, still brownish and ugly. :( and my linea negra is still there too. Wonder when it would go away..?

Also agree with Mecolemummy that if you are feeling too stressed over the milk coming in, it's okay to supplement with formula if it helps you feel less pressured about having to feed your baby. I made that decision on Day 3 when my milk was still not in, and because I had difficulties latching my baby, I was worried sick about poor baby's lack of nourishment and also jaundice. So we supplemented with formula - up til today i am still supplementing with formula because my breastmilk isn't enough. But it has helped to calm me down so that I can concentrate on the expressing - really keeps us sane!

yes, i agree that if you really feel the need to supplement with formula, go ahead. do not stress yourself too much. you just delivered and there are so many things that you must focus on, so do take baby step.

Interestingly, I find that the Medela Mini Electric works best for me so far. I started with the Medela Freestyle, then tried the Mini Electric, and also the Avent Manual pump. Not sure why - maybe I'm not using it right? - the manual pump doesn't seem to have a strong suction, and not much milk is expressed. I also like the Mini Electric because it has the fewest parts to wash and sterilise! A lot more convenient especially when we are expressing so frequently each day. :) Try pumping and massaging your breast at the same time - I find this works well for me.

I did read that it is important to empty the breasts in order to stimulate more milk production; I also read that it is better to have 2 sessions of 15 mins than 1 session of 30 mins - basically the frequency of pumping sessions is more important than the length of each session. The more often our breasts are stimulated, the better. Although I do experience that there is less milk per session if I pump every 2 hours, than if I pump every 3 hours - but in the long run there is more I guess? And signals to the brain that there is a high demand for more milk. Well, still experimenting... may take some time for us to establish a comfortable demand-supply routine.
I still pump every 3 hours but I realised that my milk supply like getting lesser!! I wonder why? Are clues?

Sigh.. I have a patch of stretchmarks around my belly button area, still brownish and ugly. :( and my linea negra is still there too. Wonder when it would go away..?
that time, my massage lady said continue to apply the tummy cream for it to go away. i am not sure if it works. my problem is that when i was expecting my girl, tiny hair grew on my tummy and it's still there....my tummy looks like a kiwi!

mrs_eg

same thoughts.....
not only that, I have "linea negra" kind of line up both my legs... and heavily darkened armpits... sobs...:err: